A Family Tradition
Camp Arcadia has thrived for more than a century under the guidance and management of four generations of one family. A vision and commitment to the healthy development of young women while living in and appreciating the natural world around them has prevailed at Arcadia since its inception.
Dr. George L. Meylan was the Director of Physical Education at Columbia University at the turn of the century. Dr. Meylan, who had become friends with early camping educators, founded White Mountain Camp for Boys on Sebago Lake in Maine in 1905.
Being a father to seven daughters, Dr. Meylan later purchased Camp Arcadia for Girls, which had been founded in 1916. Dr. Meylan and his visionary daughter Juliette Meylan Henderson directed the camp for many years. Dr. Meylan served as the first president of the joined associations for boys and girls camps which evolved into the modern day American Camping Association. Juliette, known affectionately as Mum-Mum to her Arcadia associates, oversaw the expansion of Arcadia’s land, the development of its trips program and the establishment of a strong activity program.
The Past 50 Years
Juliette’s daughters, Anne Henderson Fritts and Louise Henderson, became Camp Arcadia’s Directors in 1970. Together they oversaw the growth of Arcadia in terms of the number of campers and counselors. Anne established Family Camp, the Camp Arcadia Scholarship Foundation and the ‘A Week at Arcadia’ Program.
In 2000, Anne’s third daughter, Louise Fritts Johnson, became the fourth generation Director of Camp Arcadia.